Spring into Love: Planning the Perfect Spring Wedding
By: Lillian Miller, Event Coordinator
Spring is a season of new beginnings and fresh starts, making it a popular time for couples to tie the knot. Spring weddings are elegant, refreshing, and full of love. After a cold winter, spring sets the perfect stage for a romantic and unforgettable wedding celebration with its blooming flowers, warmer weather, and longer days!
As resident wedding experts, let’s uncover together the magic of getting married in spring and explore why it’s a top choice for couples looking to say, “I do.” We will also provide suggestions for Suffolk outdoor wedding venues and other places to get married in Suffolk, VA. Suffolk is a convenient location close to numerous tourist attractions and airports, making travel easy and fun for your guests. Also important are the many options for accommodations for family and friends traveling into town for the wedding. Here are our 5 tips to help you plan your perfect spring wedding.
Picking the right date
It can be tricky to select the perfect date for your special day that does not interfere with any other significant events. Also, April is known to be a rainy season, so make sure you have a backup plan for possible rain if you are looking into Suffolk outdoor wedding venues. On the positive side, spring is also the time of year when the temperatures are most pleasant.
Places to get married in Suffolk, VA, often begin booking weddings about a year in advance. Some of the holidays listed below may be an ideal time to get married because guests may already have a three-day weekend from work, and travel can be more accessible. For example, a Sunday wedding becomes more appealing and easier for guests traveling when they don’t have to take time off from work.
Spring holidays to think about are,
- Memorial Day
- Mother’s Day
- St. Patrick’s Day
- Cinco De Mayo
- April Fool’s Day
Unique touches for springtime
Spring is full of beautiful colors and warmth, and that feeling is ideal for incorporating into your spring wedding. When looking at places to get married in Suffolk, VA talk to the catering sales manager, who can also provide springtime ideas and vendors who have worked with the hotel that can bring your vision to life.The following unique touches can tie in the Spring vibes you are trying to achieve when planning your wedding.
- Having watercolor invitations is beautiful and unique.
- Having your wedding theme colors be a pastel palette. This will give it an elegant fresh look, and pastel bridesmaid dresses are exquisite in springtime.
- Party favors are a sweet touch to send off with your guests as a thank-you for coming to celebrate! Some lovely ideas for springtime are giving out seed packets as party favors or mini succulents to take home! Also, you can put a little note that says, “Let love grow” or “Spread the love.”
Using flowers to your advantage
A spring wedding has many advantages, especially if you’re looking to include fresh flowers! Finding your local flower shop or local farm will be the first step to seeing what new cut arrangements of flowers they can offer you. Most places to get married in Suffolk, VA, will have vendor recommendations for you. At the Suffolk Conference Center, we don’t require guests only to use specific vendors. But we can provide a list of places we have worked with.
Some of the most popular flowers, like roses, lilacs, and daffodils, bloom in the spring. If you have selected your outdoor wedding venue, remember that the property may have different flowers or greenery that provide a natural beauty to the space. Another perk, spring flowers can be more cost-efficient than winter since they are easier to get. In addition, you can use flowers in several ways throughout the day.
- Have a fresh flower backdrop instead of a traditional arch.
- Floral headbands or crowns are beautiful if you are not a traditional veil gal and want to wear something on your head. Or incorporate floral crowns for the flower girls.
- Having flower petals scattered during the ceremony by the flower girl is a timeless tradition. It will look beautiful when the bride walks down. Floral arrangements lining the aisle can add a wow factor.
- Use natural flowers to decorate your wedding cake and continue the theme from the ceremony to the reception.
- If you want your guests to throw something afterward, use flower petals or dried pieces of lilac. This is much more eco-friendly to the environment thanrice or confetti. Some places to get married in Suffolk, VA, will have different rules on what they allow, so please check with the team before the event.
Outside Vs. Inside: Suffolk outdoor wedding venues
Deciding if you want your wedding inside or out is a tough decision. The Suffolk Conference Center provides indoor and outdoor wedding venue options! The property is located on the Nansemond River and provides a gorgeous natural backdrop for outdoor wedding ceremonies. The outdoor space is part of Constant’s Wharf Park and Marina which backs up to the Hilton Garden Inn Hotel and Suffolk Conference Center. When looking at places to get married in Suffolk, VA, this location is ideal because it can accommodate an outdoor wedding ceremony, but there’s an easy backup plan in case it rains.
With all decisions surrounding your wedding, this is very personal. There are always pros and cons to outdoor events. The weather can be unpredictable (i.e., springtime showers), leading to additional preparation for just-in-case scenarios. But the gorgeous wedding photos, *chef’s kiss* can make it worth it!
Food and drinks
Springtime is also a great time for food, incredibly fresh farm-to-table meals. Farmers’ markets start to open back up in springtime, and things start growing! You can incorporate fresh foods into your meals and make a custom menu to fit the season. The menu will usually be one of the main topics of discussion when looking at places to get married in Suffolk, VA. At the Suffolk Conference Center, our food and beverage director can offer various custom menu options and work with you to pick out the perfect menu!
- Having flowers or fresh herbs to garnish cocktails. This gives it a very elegant look.
- Having fresh salads locally grown and served before your meals.
- You can also see what local seafood is in the area to have at your wedding. If you and your fiancé love seafood, incorporate something different like an oyster bar or have a chef make fresh sushi!
Places to get married in Suffolk, VA
Limited Suffolk outdoor wedding venues provide amenities like the Suffolk Conference Center. Having the outdoor wedding ceremony transition to the cocktail hour on the veranda and leading your guests into the main ballroom is one of a kind at our property. If you are still looking for the perfect place to get married in Suffolk, VA, contact us. We’d love to chat with you about your special day. Please don’t wait to take advantage of one of the most popular wedding seasons and schedule a tour with us today!