By Lillian Miller, Events Coordinator
The holiday season is approaching, which means lots of planning, decorating, and cooking. With so much to do, it can be a very stressful time of the year. Navigating it all alone can be very strenuous, overwhelming, and time-consuming. It would be nice to relax during the holidays, spend time with your loved ones, and not worry about tireless planning. Instead of adding on any extra stress of hosting, there are numerous options for your family reunion venue in Suffolk, VA.
This stress-free planning guide should help with the overwhelming holiday craziness and make the process smoother, leaving you time to relax and enjoy the seasons! Here are our 5 tips to stay stress-free while planning your holiday event.
1. Plan Ahead
Planning ahead is essential, especially for family reunions, because event space gets filled quickly during the busy season. Advance planning allows more time for the planners of the event venue to make your event run as smoothly as possible. However, don’t stress if you don’t feel like time is on your side. Our team of highly trained event specialists will be able to assist in answering questions and helping make the most of the planning time you do have. That is just one of the many advantages of planning your holiday party at our event venue in Suffolk, VA.
- It allows for more event venue options and increases your chances of securing the one you want.
- It allows time to think through the details, like what day and time you should have your event.
- Everything becomes more expensive the later plans are made. Planning allows for more budget prep as well.
2. Choose an Event Space for Hosting
Instead of hosting and cramming your family members in your homes, consider finding an event space to host! Doing so will allow more time for relaxing and less time for cleaning and prepping! The Suffolk Conference Center can accommodate both your event space and overnight rooms for you & your family members. Here are additional items to consider when selecting your event venue in Suffolk, VA.
- How many family members will be attending the event?
- How far will each family need to travel? Some family members may want to stay longer or leave earlier than others. You’ll want to know if the arrival and departure dates can vary with the group rate.
- What activities are available in the surrounding area?
3. Take Breaks
Remember to take breaks while planning. Self-care is important and can help reduce a lot of stress!
- Take a relaxing walk along the river
- Read a good book by the fireplace
- Cozy up with a good holiday movie
- Have a healthy snack; no one can plan an event well while they are hangry
- Focus on positivity and practice gratitude. Sometimes a small shift in mindset is just what we all need to refocus.
4. Make a Holiday Budget
The holidays are also a time of spending money on parties, gifts, food, etc., and money can be a significant stressor. Planning a budget for all your needs can help with your spending habits and help you become more cautious and aware.
- Set a spending limit.
- List out all expenses so ideally, you will be aware of the unexpected. Your event venue in Suffolk, VA, can assist with budgeting ideas while planning your holiday event.
- Establish priorities when it comes to spending.
- Track spending and adjust the budget as needed throughout the process to use the funds in the most economical way.
5. Give Back
Volunteering or donating to your local community can help distract you from the busy holiday season by giving back. Volunteering also gives a sense of purpose and increases happiness. The holidays are the perfect time to support those in need and spread the holiday joy. It brings a lot of holiday spirit and good cheer, and it can also be an activity to do with the whole family!
- Volunteer to cook or serve meals at a homeless shelter
- Volunteer at a local nursing home or assisted living facility
- Donate food to a local food pantry or sign up to help sort and organize donations
- Sign up to walk or read to animals at the local animal shelter
Our Event Venue
Although there are numerous event venues in Suffolk, VA, that can help with that holiday stress, The Hilton Garden Inn and Suffolk Conference Center is a warm, welcoming place for your holiday events. It is located right on the Nansemond riverfront, with plenty of ballroom space for private events, an onsite restaurant, and a pool & gym conveniently available to all guests while staying on the property. Let our sales team partner with you to guide you through the holiday event planning process.